Playing the piano modifies the brain, thinking about playing the piano……. modifies the brain
What are the application tools of the Feuerstein method and to whom do they appeal?
The Instrumental Enrichment Programme (PAS) applies to very different situations: from severe cognitive retardation, to learning difficulties, to training in the business world. This variability is due to the fact that the core of the method is mediation, thus the possibility of increasing learning potential and skills, making people active.
The application tools of the Feuerstein method give the opportunity to learn to learn. They help people to be ready for any change. They are nothing more than provocations to put mediation into practice.
It is a “book” made up of 14 instruments, in which the protagonist is “thought“. Each tool allows you to understand what our thinking does and how it works, each page is an opportunity for Mediated Learning Experience.
The PAS consists of a battery of paper-pencil instruments in a gradual sequence, which applies from the age of 9 years and aims to overcome a cognitive deficiency. The goal is to stimulate cognitive functions involved in learning processes and learn to use effective cognitive strategies, stimulating divergent thinking, because there is not only one way to solve a problem!
It is a cognitive education programme, aimed at pre-school age or situations of delay or lack of basic cognitive functions (e. g. mental retardation, cerebral palsy, learning disorders).
Starting from playful exercises, manipulation and cards, which take into account the developmental phase of children, the subject is accompanied by access to higher levels of abstraction and representation. The aim is to work on the prerequisites for learning, e. g. reading, writing, etc…. The concrete nature of materials and procedures makes it possible to transfer learning to other contexts; mediated interaction makes it possible to work and strengthen emerging cognitive functions, which are either lacking or completely lacking.
But the Feuerstein method does not only deal with cognitive aspects, but also emotional aspects, in fact cognition and emotion are two sides of the same coin.
- Feuerstein R. (et al.) Don’t Accept Me as I am, Ed. Sansoni
- Feuerstein R. (et al.) La disabilità non è un limite, Ed. Libri Liberi 2005
- Feuerstein R. (et al.) La teoria di Feuerstein e i suoi sistemi applicativi: una raccolta di contributi, Associazione Connessioni 2006
- Feuerstein R. Il Programma di arricchimento strumentale di Feuerstein, fondamenti teorici e applicazioni pratiche, Erickson 2008
- Laniado N. Come insegnare l’intelligenza ai vostri bambini, Red edizioni 2002
- Laniado N. Come stimolare giorno per giorno l’intelligenza dei vostri bambini, Red edizioni 2003